The vast region to the south of Lisbon and Central Portugal is the Alentejo region. Here, you’ll find rolling plains, cork oak plantations, wineries and olive groves as well as medieval villages and megalithic monuments.
There’s lots to discover in this beautiful area so I’ve designed this 3-day Alentejo itinerary to give you a taste of the region in just 3 days, departing from Lisbon.
With this private, fully-managed itinerary, there’s no need to worry about logistics or transport as you’ll have private transfers wherever needed.
Gaze at the Alqueva reservoir and surrounding plains from Monsaraz Castle.
Have a private winery tour with wine and olive oil tastings in one of the Alentejo’s best wineries.
See local potters at work in a village that’s famous for producing colourful ceramics.
Go back thousands of years on an exploration of megalithic monuments near Évora.
See the hauntingly beautiful bone chapel and Roman temple in Évora.
Learn about cork production on a jeep tour of a working cork and wine estate.
Admire the hand-embroidered woolen rugs in the village of Arraiolos.
Find out what’s in store in this Alentejo discovery tour. Click the relevant link to get the information you need or scroll through.
Day 1. Lisbon | Évora
- Meet your private driver/guide and leave towards the Alentejo region.
- Arrive and visit the beautiful medieval village of Monsaraz with your driver/guide.
- One of the best and longest-established wineries in the Alentejo region is your next adventure. Discover the ancient art of talha wine, where the wine-making process is very much a manual one and wine is matured in terracotta containers (talhas).
- (Optional upgrade to visit a different local winery for a leisurely lunch at the Michelin-starred restuarantfollowed by a tour of the estate and cellar, a historic account of their monuments and an exclusive wine and olive oil tasting. Lunch is included in this upgrade.)
- After lunch (not included, except in upgrade), your driver will take you to the village of São Pedro do Corval to see the pottery workshops.
- Head towards Évora. Arrive and check into your boutique hotel in Évora.
Day 2. Évora
- Meet your guide in the hotel lobby for a small group megalithic monuments tour.
- Around Évora lie the remains of some of the oldest man made monuments in Western Europe, dating back some 7,500 years. This tour takes you to the Almendres standing circles, the nearby menhir and one of the largest dolmen in the Iberian peninsular.
- Return to Évora and have lunch at a typical Alentejo restaurant (not included).
- Meet your local expert guide for a private guided walking tour of Évora’s historical center, classified as a World Heritage by UNESCO. Here you’ll visit several memorable places, including the fascinatingly chilling Capela dos Ossos (Chapel of Bones) and the Templo de Diana, which is considered the best preserved Roman temple on the Iberian Peninsular.
Day 3. Évora | Cork farm | Arraiolos | Lisbon
- Meet your driver in the hotel lobby for the drive through the Alentejo plains to a cork and wine farm. At this charming winery, you’ll not only experience an informational jeep tour through the vibrant Alentejo vineyards and cork forests, but you’ll also savor a private wine tasting followed by a rustic regional lunch. It’s an exceptional experience in the stunning Portuguese countryside. Return to Evora after lunch.
- Meet your private driver at the hotel lobby back in Évora around 3:30pm and leave towards Lisbon.
- Stop in the small town of Arraiolos to see the hand-embroidered tapestry rugs and learn about the history of this beautiful traditional craft.
- Drop off in Lisbon.
From €1,450 per person based on 2 people sharing a double room in a 4-star hotel in low season. For an accurate quote for your dates and preferences, please use the enquiry form in the next tab.
- 2 Nights at boutique 4-star hotel in Évora in Double Standard Room with breakfast included;
- Full day (8 hours) Deluxe Mercedes Sedan with English-speaking driver at disposal as per itinerary from Lisbon to Évora;
- Winery visit with wine tasting;
- 3 hours small group Megalithic tour;
- Half day (4 hours) Expert local guide service at disposal as per itinerary in Évora;
- Cork and wine tour with lunch at local farm with transfers included;
- Private transfer by Deluxe Mercedes Sedan with English-speaking driver from Évora to Lisbon with a stop in Arraiolos;
- Welcome information packet, restaurant recommendations, our 24 hour contact number;
- Catavino coordination & support
- Personal expenses
Make an enquiry
Please complete this form so that my partner travel agency can calculate the price for your specific dates and options.
You can add this experience to my 8-day Introduction to Portugal tour or the 2-Weeks In Portugal Discovery, or book it as a standalone excursion from Lisbon.
See all of my fully managed Portugal itineraries to build your perfect trip.
Or let me design a custom itinerary just for you if none of these itineraries suit you perfectly.
Pin this for later!
BEFORE YOU GO...
If you're interested in visiting or moving to Portugal, why not get my free insider tips and resources?
These emails include new blog posts and relevant products, services and special offers.