If your trip to Portugal would feel incomplete without spending some time in the very south of the country, you can add this 4-day Algarve itinerary to one of my longer Portugal tours.
This is not just about beaches though. I’ve included a range of experiences that will give you a flavour of the history, culture and varied landscapes within the Algarve region.
Begin by visiting the stunning Odeceixe beach in the far northwest of the region then make your way south via the quaint village of Aljezur to Sagres, the westernmost tip of the region.
Explore the town and beaches of Lagos and take a boat trip to see the coastline and caves from a different perspective.
Visit the inland town of Silves with its red sandstone castle from the 8th century.
Tuck into a tasty lunch of grilled octopus in Santa Luzia.
Wander through the pretty streets of Tavira before arriving in the region’s capital, Faro.
Learn how to make seafood cataplana from an expert chef after shopping for the fresh ingredients at the local market.
Explore Faro’s sights and historical centre at leisure before returning to Lisbon by train.
Get more information about this introduction to the Algarve tour by clicking the tabs below.
Day 1. Lisbon | Algarve
- Meet private English speaking driver at the lobby and leave towards the Algarve Region.
- Your driver will take you to the Algarve region following the Alentejo coast line, stopping at Odeceixe beach, the small village of Aljezur and historical Sagres, with its fortress.
- Overnight in Lagos
Day 2. Lagos
- 75-minute boat ride through the caves of Ponta De Piedade. Your professional skipper will take you through the amazing marine caves of the Algarve
- Enjoy the beaches or town of Lagos in the afternoon.
Day 3. Lagos | Silves | Tavira | Faro
- Meet your private English-speaking driver at the lobby and leave towards the historical riverside town of Silves.
- Visit the red sandstone castle, which dates back to the Moorish occupation of these lands, and explore the pretty old town centre on your own.
- Continue your journey towards Tavira in the eastern Algarve.
- Stop for lunch (not included) in Santa Luzia on the way to Tavira to enjoy the local speciality, i.e. octopus, for lunch (other dishes are also available).
- Explore the low-key historical town of Tavira on your own.
- Your driver will take you to your hotel in Faro
Day 4. Faro | Lisbon
- Begin your day with a vivid, hands-on plunge into the culinary traditions of Portugal with a market tour and cooking class with an expert chef. After the market tour, you’ll return to the chef’s restaurant in Faro to cook up the most iconic dish of the Algarve – the seafood cataplana.
- Free time in Faro to visit one or two key sights or explore the pretty streets of the old town.
- Take the fast train back to Lisbon.
Price per person, based on 2 people participating during low season in a 4-star hotel: €1,275.00 (€2,550.00 total)
- 2 Nights at 4-star hotel in Lagos in Double Standard Room with breakfast included;
- 1 Night at 4-star hotel in Faro in Double Standard Room with breakfast included;
- 2 Full day (8 hours) Deluxe Mercedes Sedan with English Speaking driver at disposal as per itinerary from Lisbon to Lagos + Lagos to Faro
- 75-minute caves boat cruise;
- Private cataplana workshop with lunch;
- 1st class Alfa train tickets to Lisbon;
- Welcome information pack, restaurant recommendations, our 24 hour contact number;
- Local travel agent coordination & support
- Personal Expenses.
Make an enquiry
Please complete this form so that my partner travel agency can calculate the price for your specific dates and options.
Add this experience to my 8-day Introduction to Portugal tour or book it as a standalone excursion from Lisbon.
See all of my fully managed Portugal itineraries to build your perfect trip.
Or let me design a custom itinerary just for you.
Pin these for later!
BEFORE YOU GO...
If you're interested in visiting or moving to Portugal, why not get my free insider tips and resources by email? These newsletters also include blog updates and information about relevant products, services and special offers.