The verdant and utterly gorgeous Minho region of Northern Portugal is possibly my favourite part of the country. I could spend weeks (or even live) there but if you don’t have the luxury of so much time, I’ve created a 3-day Minho itinerary that covers some of its best bits.
Starting and ending in Porto, you’ll visit Viana do Castelo, at the mouth of the River Lima. Known for colourful costumes and gold filigree jewellery, this coastal town is steeped in history and full of beautiful architecture and charm.
Visit a vinho verde winery near the pretty town of Ponte de Lima before ending the day in the beautiful city of Braga.
Get to know Braga’s history through a tour of its azulejos (painted tiles) then enjoy free time in the afternoon to visit the nearby Tibães Monastery.
Visit the hilltop Bom Jesus do Monte Sanctuary for wonderful views.
Explore the medieval squares, 10th century castle and 14th century Ducal Palace in the UNESCO World Heritage city of Guimarães before returning to Porto.
Click on a link or scroll to get more information about this Minho taster tour.
Day 1. Porto | Viana do Castelo | Ponte de Lima | Braga
- Meet your private English-speaking driver/guide at the hotel lobby (in Porto) and leave towards Viana do Castelo.
- Start your visit at Santa Luzia hill, with amazing views over the city and Lima River from the ancient Celtic settlement. While you are there also visit the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a revivalist building by Ventura Terra, from 1898. Enjoy a ride on the Santa Luzia elevator.
- Free time to stroll through the delightful medieval center and visit the fascinating Museu do Traje (Costume Museum) to see the colourful hand-embroidered clothes traditionally worn by local women as well as fine pieces of gold filigree jewellery.
- Leave towards Ponte de Lima, for a visit and wine tasting at an ancient winery of rare natural beauty which produces excellent white wines made from a Portuguese grape variety called Loureiro.
- Enjoy a leisurely stroll through Ponte de Lima’s charming medieval centre and across the Roman bridge.
- Leave towards Braga and check into your Braga hotel
Day 2. Braga
- Meet your guide for a small group walking tour to explore the beautiful city of Braga through its colourful tiles. Journey through four centuries of Portuguese history through the range of azulejos found within Braga’s buildings, churches, museums, squares and streets.
- Free time in the afternoon. I highly recommend you visit Tibães Monastery for an audio guided tour (not included) of this fascinating and beautiful former monastery just a few kilometres outside the city centre.
Day 3. Braga | Guimarães | Porto
- Meet your private English-speaking driver/guide at the lobby and leave towards Guimarães. This ancient city was named a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2001 for being an exceptionally well-preserved and authentic example of an evolved medieval settlement in Europe.
- Make a brief detour to visit the hilltop sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Monte.
- Visit Guimarães Castle, the Palace of the Duques de Bragança and the historical centre.
- Free time in Guimarães before your driver takes you back to Porto in the afternoon.
Price per person, based on 2 people participating during low season: €875.00
- 2 Nights at 4-star hotel in Braga in Double Standard Room with breakfast included;
- 2 Full day (8 hours) Deluxe Mercedes Sedan with English-speaking driver at disposal as per itinerary from Porto to Braga + from Braga to Porto;
- Winery visit with wine tasting in Ponte de Lima;
- 3 hours small group Braga Tile Tour;
- Entrance fees in Guimarães and Viana do Castelo;
- Welcome information pack, restaurant recommendations, our 24 hour contact number;
- Expert, fully licensed local travel agent coordination & support
- Personal Expenses.
Make an enquiry
Please complete this form so that my partner travel agency can calculate the price for your specific dates and options.
Add this experience to my 8-day Introduction to Portugal tour or book it as a standalone excursion from Porto.
See all of my fully managed Portugal itineraries to build your perfect trip.
Or let me design a custom itinerary just for you.
Pin this for later!
BEFORE YOU GO...
If you're interested in visiting or moving to Portugal, why not get my free insider tips and resources by email? These newsletters also include blog updates and information about relevant products, services and special offers.