I’ve designed this delicious 1-week Portugal itinerary for first time travellers to Portugal to give you a glimpse of the must sees and hidden gems.
In 8 days (7 nights), you’ll see some of the country’s unique highlights and get a real taste for Portuguese food and wine.
Discover the varied landscapes, architecture and local culture with a carefully selected range of expertly guided tours.
Get a good night’s sleep in the comfort of hand-picked 4 and 5 star hotels and start each day with a satisfying breakfast.
Click on a link or scroll through to see more information about this tour and make an enquiry.
Day 1: (Saturday) LISBON
- Morning arrival at Lisbon International Airport
- Meet private driver outside customs and drive towards 4-star hotel in Lisbon (hotel and room upgrade available upon request)
- Afternoon Walking Food Tour (Alfama & Baixa): Develop a knowledge of and love for Portuguese flavours as you explore heaps of delicious recipes alongside a wide range of Portuguese wines and other beverages including one of my favourite, ginjinha (sour cherry liqueur). Explore the undiscovered flavors of traditional petiscos (Portuguese tapas), and a range of baked goods and savoury dishes. You’ll get to explore the oldest neighbourhood in the city as well s the grid-like streets of the Baixa.
- Evening at leisure
Day 2: (Sunday) LISBON
- Meet your English-speaking local expert guide at the hotel lobby and leave towards Belém area by taxi
- Take a panoramic tour of Belém Tower and the Discovery Monument
- Private guided visit to the National Coach Museum or Military Museum (depending on your preferences)
- Lunch on your own at a local restaurant
- Afternoon at leisure in Belém
- Sunset boat trip with wine tasting (seasonal). This 2-hour group cruise with a drink on board includes guided explanations regarding all the sights during the “magic” hour of sunset, when Lisbon is unforgettable!
- Return to hotel on your own
Day 3: (Monday) LISBON – SINTRA – CASCAIS – LISBON
- Meet your private English-speaking driver at the lobby and leave towards Sintra
- Arrive and walking guided visit to Sintra historical centre, classified as world heritage by Unesco. Visit the amazing Quinta da Regaleira Palace and Gardens.
- Lunch at local restaurant in Sintra (not included)
- Leave towards Colares after lunch
- Arrive and visit with wine tasting at a local winery
- Return to Lisbon following the beautiful Cascais – Estoril coastline via Cabo da Roca, the westernmost point in mainland Europe.
Day 4: (Tuesday) LISBON – COIMBRA
- Meet your private English-speaking driver/guide at the lobby and leave towards Coimbra
- En-route stop at Alcobaça and visit the amazing Alcobaça Monastery where the elaborately carved tombs of Pedro and Inês lie
- Continue towards Coimbra
- Check in at a 5-star hotel in Coimbra in a former palace where Pedro and Inês conducted their affair
- Learn the full, tragic story of Portugal’s real life Romeo and Juliet on a private guided tour of the sites relevant to their story.
Day 5: (Wednesday) COIMBRA
- Go back 2000 years and learn how the Romans lived in this area on a private guided Roman Legacy tour. Visit the (now underground) cryptoporticus, the astonishingly well-preserved open air mosaics at Conimbriga and take a guided tour of the relevant museums to help you make the most of your visit.
- Learn what makes Coimbra Fado music unique during a late afternoon performance.
Day 6: (Thursday) COIMBRA – BUSSACO – AVEIRO – PORTO
- Meet your private driver at the hotel lobby and leave towards Bussaco national forest, palace and convent
- Arrive and enjoy a shaded walk in Bussaco and visit the stone-studded Carmelite convent
- Leave towards Aveiro, city of canals and Art Nouveau
- Lunch on your own at a local restaurant (not included) in Costa Nova, the fishing village of houses painted in colourful stripes with ocean beach on one side and the lagoon on the other.
- Short panoramic tour of Aveiro
- Drive towards Porto
- Arrive and check in at 4-star hotel located in Porto city center (upgrade possible)
- Evening at leisure
Day 7: (Friday) PORTO
- Meet your expert local guide at the hotel lobby and set off for Porto’s historical centre, classified as World Heritage by UNESCO (taxi included)
- Enjoy a half-day private walking guided tour with visit to Lello Bookstore, Stock Exchange Palace and St. Francis Church
- Walk to the other side of the river crossing the D. Luis I Bridge
- Private visit with wine tasting at local port wine cellar to learn about the Douro’s famous fortified wine
- Lunch on your own at a local restaurant (not included)
- Afternoon at leisure to shop for quality souvenirs, visit art galleries or museums or simply soak up the atmosphere of the Ribeira district.
- Evening at leisure
Day 8: (Saturday) PORTO Leave
- Take a taxi to Porto International Airport
- Fly home from Porto
Note: If your travel dates don’t match a Saturday to Saturday itinerary, we can work around that, although opening hours may affect the itinerary in some way.
From €3,900 per person based on 2 people sharing a double room as per the itinerary
- 3 Nights at 4-star hotel in Lisbon in Double Standard Room with breakfast included
- 2 Nights at 5-star hotel in Coimbra in Double Standard Room with breakfast included
- 2 Nights at 4-star hotel in Porto in Double Standard Room with breakfast included
- Private arrival and depart transfer by Deluxe Mercedes Sedan with English-speaking driver
- Full day (8 hours) Deluxe Mercedes Sedan with English-speaking driver at disposal as per itinerary in Sintra and from Coimbra to Porto
- Full day (8 hours) private driver/guide at disposal as per itinerary from Lisbon – Alcobaça – Coimbra and Conimbriga
- Private walking Lisbon Food Tour – tastings included
- 2 Half day (4 hours) with expert local guide service at your disposal as per itinerary in Lisbon and Porto
- Entrance fees at National Coach Museum, Quinta da Regaleira, Alcobaça Monastery, Conimbriga Ruins, Stock Exchange Palace, St. Francisco Church and Lello Bookstore
- Winery visit with wine tasting in Colares
- Port wine lodge visit with wine tasting in Porto
- Sunset group cruise in Lisbon
- Welcome information pack, restaurant recommendations, 24 hour contact number
- Local travel agent coordination and support
- Personal expenses
Make an enquiry
Please complete this form so that my partner travel agency can calculate the price for your specific dates and options.
8-Day Introduction To Portugal Itinerary
You can extend this 1-week Portugal itinerary with one of my 3 or 4 day extensions- see all my fully managed itineraries on this page. – or add an extra night in Porto so that you can take a day trip into the Douro Valley.
If you need to customise the itinerary, use my itinerary design service to create your perfect trip to Portugal.