I’ve designed this delicious itinerary for first time travellers to Portugal to give you a glimpse of the must sees and hidden gems.
In one week, you’ll see some of the country’s unique highlights and get a real taste for Portuguese food and wine.
Discover the varied landscapes, architecture and local culture with a carefully selected range of expertly guided tours.
Get a good night’s sleep in the comfort of hand-picked 4 and 5 star hotels and start each day with a satisfying breakfast.
Click on a link or scroll through to see more information about this tour or make an enquiry.
Day 1: (Saturday) LISBON
- Morning arrival at Lisbon International Airport
- Meet private driver outside customs and drive towards 4-star hotel in Lisbon (hotel and room upgrade available upon request)
- Afternoon Walking Food Tour (Alfama & Old Town): Develop a knowledge of and love for Portuguese flavours as you explore heaps of delicious recipes alongside a wide range of Portuguese wines. Explore the undiscovered flavors of traditional canned fish, petiscos (Portuguese small bites), craft Portuguese beer and a range of freshly picked fruit and nuts as well as baked goods and savoury dishes.
- Evening at leisure
Day 2: (Sunday) LISBON
- Meet your English-speaking local expert guide at the hotel lobby and leave towards Belém area by taxi
- Take a panoramic tour of Belém Tower and the Discovery Monument
- Private guided visit to Jerónimos Monastery and National Coach Museum or Military Museum (depending on your preferences)
- Lunch on your own at a local restaurant
- Afternoon at leisure in Belém
- Sunset boat trip with wine tasting (seasonal). This 2-hour group cruise with a drink on board includes guided explanations regarding all the sights during the “magic” hour of sunset, when Lisbon is unforgettable!
- Return to hotel on your own
Day 3: (Monday) LISBON – SINTRA – CASCAIS – LISBON
- Meet your private English-speaking driver at the lobby and leave towards Sintra
- Arrive and walking guided visit to Sintra historical centre, classified as world heritage by Unesco. Choose between a visit to the colourful hilltop Pena Palace or the older National Palace
- Lunch at local restaurant in Sintra (not included)
- Leave towards Colares after lunch
- Arrive and visit with wine tasting at a local winery
- Return to Lisbon following the beautiful Cascais – Estoril coastline via Cabo da Roca, the westernmost point in mainland Europe.
Day 4: (Tuesday) LISBON – COIMBRA
- Meet your private English-speaking driver/guide at the lobby and leave towards Coimbra
- En-route stop at Alcobaça and visit the amazing Alcobaça Monastery where the elaborately carved tombs of Pedro and Inês lie
- Continue towards Coimbra
- Check in at a 5-star hotel in Coimbra in a former palace where Pedro and Inês conducted their affair
- Learn the full, tragic story of Portugal’s real life Romeo and Juliet on a private guided tour of the sites relevant to their story.
Day 5: (Wednesday) COIMBRA
- Go back 2000 years and learn how the Romans lived in this area on a private guided Roman Legacy tour. Visit the (now underground) cryptoporticus, the astonishingly well-preserved open air mosaics at Conimbriga and take a guided tour of the relevant museums to help you make the most of your visit.
- Learn what makes Coimbra Fado music unique during a late afternoon performance.
Day 6: (Thursday) COIMBRA – BUSSACO – AVEIRO – PORTO
- Meet your private driver at the hotel lobby and leave towards Bussaco national forest, palace and convent
- Arrive and enjoy a shaded walk in Bussaco and visit the stone-studded Carmelite convent
- Leave towards Aveiro, city of canals and Art Nouveau
- Lunch on your own at a local restaurant (not included) in Costa Nova, the fishing village of houses painted in colourful stripes with ocean beach on one side and the lagoon on the other.
- Short panoramic tour of Aveiro
- Drive towards Porto
- Arrive and check in at 4-star hotel located in Porto city center (upgrade possible)
- Evening at leisure
Day 7: (Friday) PORTO
- Meet your expert local guide at the hotel lobby and set off for Porto’s historical centre, classified as World Heritage by UNESCO (taxi included)
- Enjoy a half-day private walking guided tour with visit to Lello Bookstore, Stock Exchange Palace and St. Francis Church
- Walk to the other side of the river crossing the D. Luis I Bridge
- Private visit with wine tasting at local port wine cellar to learn about the Douro’s famous fortified wine
- Lunch on your own at a local restaurant (not included)
- Afternoon at leisure to shop for quality souvenirs, visit art galleries or museums or simply soak up the atmosphere of the Ribeira district.
- Evening at leisure
Day 8: (Saturday) PORTO Leave
- Take a taxi to Porto International Airport
- Fly home from Porto
Note: If your travel dates don’t match a Saturday to Saturday itinerary, we can work around that, although opening hours may affect the itinerary in some way.
From €2,650 per person based on 2 people sharing a double room as per the itinerary
- 3 Nights at 4-star hotel in Lisbon in Double Standard Room with breakfast included
- 2 Nights at 5-star hotel in Coimbra in Double Standard Room with breakfast included
- 2 Nights at 4-star hotel in Porto in Double Standard Room with breakfast included
- Private arrival and depart transfer by Deluxe Mercedes Sedan with English-speaking driver
- Full day (8 hours) Deluxe Mercedes Sedan with English-speaking driver at disposal as per itinerary in Sintra and from Coimbra to Porto
- Full day (8 hours) private driver/guide at disposal as per itinerary from Lisbon – Alcobaça – Coimbra and Conimbriga
- Private walking Lisbon Food Tour – tastings included
- 2 Half day (4 hours) with expert local guide service at your disposal as per itinerary in Lisbon and Porto
- Entrance fees at Belem Tower, Jeronimos Monastery, National Coach Museum, Pena Palace, Alcobaça Monastery, Conimbriga Ruins, Stock Exchange Palace, St. Francisco Church and Lello Bookstore
- Winery visit with wine tasting in Colares
- Port wine lodge visit with wine tasting in Porto
- Sunset group cruise in Lisbon
- Welcome information pack, restaurant recommendations, 24 hour contact number
- Local travel agent coordination and support
- Personal expenses
Make an enquiry
Please complete this form so that my partner travel agency can calculate the price for your specific dates and options.
You can extend this tour with one of my 3 or 4 day extension itineraries – see all my fully managed itineraries on this page. – or add an extra night in Porto so that you can take a day trip into the Douro Valley.
If you need to customise the itinerary, use my itinerary design service to create the perfect trip to Portugal.
Pin this for later!
BEFORE YOU GO...
If you're interested in visiting or moving to Portugal, why not get my free insider tips and resources by email? These newsletters also include blog updates and information about relevant products, services and special offers.